Institution: University of Louisiana at Monroe
Department: Health Sciences
Job Title: Dean of Health Sciences
Job Description: The University of Louisiana Monroe (herein referred to as University) invites applications and nominations for the Dean of Health Sciences
The University of Louisiana Monroe, a comprehensive, state institution of higher education, is accepting applications and nominations for the position of Dean of Health Sciences. The University seeks an innovative, forward-looking academic administrator and scholar to lead this College that serves approximately 3,400 students.
The College of Health Sciences is home to Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Health Studies, Kinesiology, Marriage and Family Therapy and Counseling Studies, Medical Laboratory Science, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Radiologic Technology and Speech-Language Pathology. The College offers both undergraduate and graduate degree programs in both on-campus and online formats.
The Dean of the College of Health Sciences (herein referred to as College) is the chief academic officer and the administrative head of the College. The Dean holds academic rank and is charged with the administration, academic leadership, and supervision of the operation of the College through its instructional programs, research, publications, and service activities.
Reports directly to the Dean are Associate Dean, Assistant Dean, School Directors, Program Coordinators/Directors, Facilities Director, Administrative Support Staff, and Business Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides strategic leadership that develops an ever-improving College.
Provides vision and directs/implements strategic planning consistent with and in support of the University strategic plan.
- Supports a culture of collegial governance.
- Develops strong working relationships with other Deans, Vice Presidents, the University President, and other University administrators.
- Promotes a collaborative and innovative environment for faculty, staff and students.
- Is a strong advocate for all schools, departments and programs within the College.
- Provides support to ensure all programs meet accreditation standards.
- Provides operational leadership for an effective, efficient, and dynamic College.
- Is responsible for the academic, administrative, and fiscal leadership of the College.
Recruits, retains, and leads high-quality faculty and staff.
- Participates in and supervises efforts to recruit, retain, and graduate students from the College’s degree programs.
- Promotes and encourages dynamic and cutting-edge research environment.
- Develops strong relationships with industries and promotes entrepreneurship.
- Facilitates resolution of complaints and grievances of students, staff, and faculty.
- In association with the administrative leadership of the College, determines the charge of and appoints members to College committees.
- Chairs the College’s administrative/executive committee/council.
- Annually evaluates direct reports to the Dean.
- Oversees the promotion and tenure process in the College.
- Oversees space utilization in the College.
- Creates an environment that supports professional excellence.
- Oversees and facilitates accreditation processes.
- Provides external representation to promote the College and the University.
Provides University support by attending University, Community, and Professional events.
- Represents the College to external stakeholders.
- Serves on professional and University committees as assigned.
- Cultivates development opportunities for and supports development efforts of the University’s Foundation.
The successful candidate must:
- An earned doctorate in a discipline housed in the University and a terminal degree in a discipline offered in the College of Health Sciences
- Demonstrate a background in administration, providing visionary academic, administrative, fiscal, budgetary, and personnel leadership.
- Have a demonstrated record of successful administrative accomplishment (including program development, program accreditation and student/faculty recruitment and retention).
- Possess a strong record of teaching, service, and scholarly achievement, including competitive extramural funding, consistent with the rank of professor.
- Have the ability to work outside normal University business hours as needed and travel occasionally.
University of Louisiana Monroe
The University of Louisiana Monroe has an enrollment of nearly 9,300 students. Defined by faculty excellence in teaching and research, the University has a 238-acre campus located in a culturally rich metro area with a population of more than 150,000.
With a faculty that focuses on students, the University offers 85 degree programs across four colleges - Arts, Education, and Sciences; Business and Social Sciences; Pharmacy and Health Sciences - and the Graduate School. Degrees range from associate to doctorate.
Embracing new technology, the institution provides an integrated, interactive learning environment that reflects a student's future workplace. The University is home to the state's only public pharmacy program and offers many health-related degrees to prepare students for exciting and rewarding careers.
Classroom instruction is only one part of life at the University. The warm, friendly environment found on campus helps students feel a strong sense of community.
More than 120 student organizations on campus allow students to make friends while developing leadership skills and serving the community. In addition to campus organizations, many students are also active volunteers, who donate time and talents to service and civic organizations, and many other worthwhile causes.
The University is a leader in the state in research, economic development, and partnerships with the community. The campus is a vibrant place where scientists conduct cutting-edge research, where business leaders meet to create innovative strategies, and where students are prepared for demanding careers in both traditional and emerging fields and professions.
Monroe is the cultural, economic, educational, and medical hub for Northeast Louisiana. The birth place of Delta Air Lines, the Monroe metropolitan area has public-private partnerships and cooperation at the local, regional, state, and federal levels that are resulting in significant job growth. Providing a high quality of life for its citizens, the city offers a wide variety of restaurants, unique shops, neighborhoods, parks, and community centers.
Application and Nomination Process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed and nominations are invited.
To apply - Application must include: 1) Letter of interest; 2) Current vitae, and 3) At least five references with full contact and email information. (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
Submit application to LaQuita Danna at firstname.lastname@example.org by 2/15/2018 for best consideration. The search remains open until the position is filled.
Submit nominations to LaQuita Danna at email@example.com by 2/15/2018 with full contact and email information for the nominee.