Shelly C. Mishoe, PhD
Dean and Professor
College of Health Sciences
Old Dominion University
My involvement with ASAHP began almost 15 years ago with numerous activities including committees, ASAHP representative to accreditation organizations, Alpha Eta Chapter activities, advocacy, presenter, sponsor, moderator and peer reviewer. I am currently serving as the Chair of the Advocacy Committee and look forward to bringing the PAC to fruition. ASAHP has an important role in advocacy, member assistance, leadership development and policy as the recognized voice for the allied health professions while also providing leadership for deans, associate/assistant deans, chairs and directors. I believe many working relationships, new programs and research have evolved as a result of networking and collaborations through ASAHP.
My aspirations for ASAHP include becoming a leader for interprofessional and interdisciplinary work that promotes education, research and service across the allied health professions and the spheres of influence where we engage. I believe that ASAHP provides a unique venue for partnerships and advocacy across health and public health since several of the member organizations have health sciences, nursing and public health programs. As the world is increasingly global, ASAHP can aspire to have a larger role in global health through its programming, networking, advocacy and seed funding.
To navigate the anticipated sweeping changes in health care, our members will network and collaborate in new ways. The next few years will be transformational not only for health care as a whole, but ASAHP in particular. I believe that ASAHP has done much already to enhance the health professions and welcome the opportunity to contribute further as a board member.
- Chair, Advocacy Committee, (2013-present)
- Member, Interprofessional Committee (2012-present)
- Member, Accreditation Committee (2007-2009)
- Active with ASAHP on the Hill to support Allied Health Legislation (two legislative sessions)
- Member, Research Committee (2001-2004)
Other relevant experience:
- Board of Director, Physicians for Peace, Virginia Business Coalition on Health and the American Red Cross Coastal Virginia Region (2012-present).
- Fellow, The American Council on Education Fellowship Program (2010)
- Chair, Southern Association of Allied Health Deans at Academic Health Centers – Southern Deans (2006-2008)
- President, Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (2006-2008)