Scholarship of Excellence
Call for Nominations:
Scholarship of Excellence Program:
The Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions in partnership with sponsors a scholarship program for allied health students enrolled in its member schools.
The purpose of the scholarship program is to recognize outstanding students in the allied health professions who are achieving excellence in their academic programs and have significant potential to assume future leadership roles in the allied health professions. The selected student will receive a $1,000 scholarship.
Starting in 2014, an additional scholarship in the amount of $1,000 and the title of Elwood Scholar is to be awarded to the most outstanding Scholarship of Excellence recipient.
The following criteria must be met to be eligible to receive an ASAHP Scholarship:
- Candidates must be enrolled in a college or school that is an institutional member of ASAHP.
- Candidates must have successfully completed at least one term (quarter, semester, trimester, etc.) at that institution.
- Candidates may be enrolled in any health discipline except those in the MOD-VOPP (medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, veterinary medicine, optometry, podiatry, pharmacy) group.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a career entry-level, degree-granting program; all degree levels are eligible (associate, baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral).
- Financial need is not a criterion for eligibility.
The following process will be used to nominate candidates:
- Each eligible institution may nominate one candidate for each round of scholarship awards.
- A complete nomination will include four copies of each of the following items:Nomination packets with all supporting information should be sent by the ASAHP representative to the ASAHP Executive Director at the National Office.
- Completed “ASAHP Scholarship Nomination Form”
- A letter endorsed by the ASAHP Institutional Representative that supports the nomination and describes qualities of the candidate (see Qualifications).
- A current nominee’s resumé/CV.
- A one-page (not to exceed 200 words) typewritten essay from the nominee that addresses why she/he selected the health profession for which she/he is enrolled and what unique contributions she/he intends to make to the community’s health.
The following dates will be observed:
- ASAHP Scholarship winners and The Elwood Scholar will be announced at the Annual Conference. The Elwood Scholar will be formally acknowledged amongst his/her colleagues.
- The due date for nominations will be JUNE 9TH of each year of the competition. If the date falls on a Saturday or a Sunday, the deadline will be the following Monday.
The process for selecting ASAHP Scholarship winners will be as follows. Upon receipt of applications at the ASAHP offices, they will be sent to a select group of members (e.g., ASAHP Past-Presidents or Members of the Board of Directors) who will make a determination of which students will be selected to receive scholarships.
Notification of Winners:
The names of the winners and the schools in which they are enrolled will be announced at the Annual Conference. Letters (suitable for framing) to the winners will be sent under the signatures of ASAHP’s President and the Chairperson of the Scholarship Committee to the institutional representative who submitted the nomination as soon as possible after the conference. The scholarship check will be included with that letter. The institutional representative is responsible for assuring that the winning student receives the check. Institutions are encouraged to use the award to honor the student publicly.
Names and schools of winners will be included in various publications of the Association. Institutions are encouraged to publicize the scholarship awards in ways that they desire.
All questions should be directed to the Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, 122 C. St. NW Suite 650, Washington, DC 20001. We can be reached by phone at (202) 237-6481.